What's New at Revelstoke Mountain Resort
To enhance the Revelstoke Mountain Resort experience in our 7th season of winter operations, we're proud to announce the following additional features for the 2013/2014 winter season; opening on November 30 (subject to snow conditions):
- Improved Ninja Traverse – The Ninja Traverse has been Sumo Sized! We've widened and groomed this trail to provide an easy and smooth return to the base of the Stoke Chair.
- 007 Upgrade – 007 has been remodeled with a cut-through run to improve access to Mid-Mountain Lodge.
- FREE Tubing – Available all winter for Season Pass holders.
- Snowmaking – Upgraded to improve lower mountain skiing and Village access.
- Better Beginner Terrain – Greenhorn and The Last Spike have been widened and realigned from top to bottom for improved skiing. In addition, a widened access trail provides more green skiing options on Lower Mountain.
- Faster Opening - New bomb tram installed at the Sweet Spot entrance to North Bowl to provide faster opening times on powder days.
- Run Additions – Two new runs are being developed off the Stoke Chair.
- Glades Galore! – Tasty Glades and Rollercoaster area (now Tally-Ho Glades) have been aggressively gladed for similar spacing to The Ripper glades. The Stoke base has improved visibility and access.
- Mid-Mountain Lodge is now "Revelation Lodge" - New management has brought new menu options to Revelation Lodge.
- Wino Renamed "The Mackenzie Common Tavern" - Reimagined for 2013 / 2014, enjoy a new après experience at the Resort Village Base.
- Snowshoe Tours – Available daily from the top of the Gondola!
- Calgary Shuttle – Dedicated shuttle bus operations all winter from Calgary International Airport (YYC).
- FREE Family Fun – Free tubing all winter for Season Pass holders. Take advantage of our NEW family pass - just $1749 for up to 5 members of the same family! We’re also proud to continue our Tot/Chaperone program which provides parents with a complimentary lift ticket when skiing with children aged 5 and under.
- Two New Washrooms at The Ripper - Less glamorous, but just as welcome!
As Revelstoke Mountain Resort heads into its 6th season of operations, the resort will open in December 2012 (tentatively set to open on December 1, 2012) for the first time with phase 1 of the village complete.
Mid-winter last season, the prestigious brand of The Sutton Place Hotel was introduced to what was previously known as the Nelsen Lodge. The third phase of the luxury condo-hotel was completed in February 2012, almost doubling the occupancy with an additional 107 condo-hotel rooms available (total 222). With the new phase, a brand new outdoor, year-round pool and hot tubs opened to hotel guests as well as a spacious, fully-equipped fitness studio while expanded services to the hotel included a wine & cheese guest reception, dedicated concierge, après-ski yoga sessions, and child care.
On-mountain, the Turtle Creek Beginner Area and Tube Park opened for the first time in January 2012 and was well received by guests of all ages. Kids ROC activity centre and snow school, also in its inaugural year, was a great success and made good use of the new base area beginner slope. Introductory snowmaking on the lower mountain made a significant difference in the quality of the snow base and its longevity, enhancing the ski experience on lower mountain trails and the new Turtle Creek Beginner Area & Tube Park.
In the village, La Baguette (a local favourite from downtown Revelstoke) expanded to the resort and received rave reviews from guests with their fresh take on 'ski hill' food and delicious home-made treats. Wino: The Wine Bar debuted its 'alpine chic' interior in December 2011, later in the season opening the lower level that was utilized for various private parties. At the end of the season, the village plaza was utilized for its first ever 'Patio Party' with a live band on a giant stage and cocktails served on the overlooking Rockford Wok | Bar | Grill patio.
This past summer and last, the resort has seen a dramatic increase in summer activity with approximately 120 tour coaches coming through each year and a variety of private events such as weddings, corporate functions, and celebrations all utilizing the various venues around the resort including the Mid-Mountain Lodge, Rockford Wok | Bar | Grill, and the village plaza. Exciting news for summer 2013 are plans in the making for lift-accessed sight-seeing and dining at the Revelation Gondola mid-station.
New at Revelstoke Mountain Resort for the 2012/13 Winter Season
- Home of Canadian Freeriding - Revelstoke Mountain Resort in partnership with the Revelstoke Accommodation Association is excited to announce the return of the Freeskiing World Tour in 2013! With the addition of the Swatch Freeride last winter and now the amalgamation with The North Face Masters of Snowboarding, the new "Swatch Freeride World Tour by The North Face" is sure to be a spectacular event. The tour circuit will hit up 6 world class venues with Revelstoke Mountain Resort as the first stop on the list - the ONLY resort in Canada and 1 of 2 in North America to host this incredible 5-star championship event. As a host to the event for the past three years, Revelstoke Mountain Resort is thrilled to see the FWT return this winter on January 7-11, 2013, with even more talent (if you can believe it) than ever before!
- Cultivating the Freeride Movement – With freeriding a core value behind Revelstoke Mountain Resort, it is no surprise that the International Freeskiers and Snowboard Association (IFSA) has chosen the Resort as the venue for the 2013 JETA North American Junior Championships! The IFSA recently announced a new structure for the tour including a series of regional and national events, bringing more cohesion to the Junior Big Mountain Freeskiing and Snowboarding circuit. With a lead up of 10-12 national events and a variety of regional competitions, the Junior Championship will take place at Revelstoke Mountain Resort April 4-7, 2013 with a snowboarding component from the regional level and a true overall national freeskiing champion. Visit freeskiers.org for more information.
- Making Room for All That Snow - With 30-45ft of annual snowfall across 3,121 acres of ski terrain, a solid summer grooming program makes for an ideal snow surface and an enhanced ski experience. This summer, the trail crew worked hard on brush cutting major areas on-mountain, taking 4-6ft high brush down to a trim few inches. Key focus was on the Front and South areas of the mountain including the Mid-Mountain zone and trails such as Wooley Bully, Snow Rodeo, Sunshine, Tickle Trunk, and Lower Devil's Club.
- Revy's Salomon Stars – Incredible terrain and unbelievable powder attracts the best in the industry making Revelstoke home to many talented snow sport athletes. From Greg the '2 Mil' Hill signing with Salomon Freeski this past summer to Salomon Pro Team Member, Chris Rubens featured on the cover of Powder Magazine's 2012-13 Buyer's Guide, the well-deserved cred is building. Naturally, Revelstoke Mountain Resort has recruited this talent to be a part of the RMR Ambassador program over the past few years and now joins with Salomon in presenting select ski programs. Plans include Chris Rubens heading up the new Steeps Camp with Selkirk Tangiers Heli Skiing (March 2-6, 2013) and another spectacular Salomon/RMR Pro Team member, Leah Evans starring in Selkirk Tangiers' Women's Retreat (March 9-12, 2013) plus brand sponsorship of the Salomon Freestlye/Freeride Youth Program at Revelstoke Mountain Resort.
- Enhancing the Terrain Ability Progression – With 5,620 vertical feet, the most vertical in North America, the focus is to make such a big mountain accessible to all abilities and continue to develop the tiered ski ability concept that the mountain offers: Level 1 - Turtle Creek Beginner Area and Little Bit, Level 2 & 3 - Mid-Gondola Station, Level 4+ - Top of Gondola and Top of Stoke. To complement the development of the new, village-based Turtle Creek Beginner Area, Tumbelina (a blue run on the lower mountain) has been completely re-graded to enhance the ski and board experience for the Level 2s looking to take the next step.
- Relief at the Ripper – Well, it's not glamorous or exciting but important to our guests that a new washroom facility will now be available at The Ripper chair! Listening to guest feedback and recognizing this area as the most distant from the on-mountain amenities, we anticipate the new Ripper washroom facilities will be greatly appreciated.
News in the Region
From Sun to Powder, Revelstoke gets closer to L.A. - Starting December 19, 2012, exciting news for skiers and boarders comes from United Airlines who will offer United Express year round daily service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Kelowna (YLW). Express will operate one, three hour non-stop flight per day with the addition of a second flight added on Saturdays that offers an ideal connection time for Australian travellers who often arrive early morning to L.A.X.
Daily Saturday Depart LAX at 6:40pm, Arrive YLW at 9:44pm Depart LAX at 1:30pm, Arrive YLW at 4:34pm Depart YLW at 8:00am, Arrive LAS at 10:51am Depart YLW at 5:10pm, Arrive LAX at 8:01pm
North America's highest lift-serviced vertical just got even better with the addition of beginner and family programming, beginner slope, tube park, new facilities, more lodging and dining – all planned for the 2011-12 ski season!
- NEW! Beginner Area
- NEW! Tube Park
- NEW! Magic Carpet
- NEW! Base Area Snowmaking
- NEW! Lower Mountain Summer Grooming and Grading
- NEW! Kids ROC (Revelstoke Outdoors Centre)
- NEW! Kids’ and Family Apres Activities
- NEW! Mountain Child Care with daytime and evening services available
- NEW! Phase 3 of The Sutton Place Hotel
- NEW! Outdoor All-Season Pool and Hot Tub at The Sutton Place Hotel
- NEW! WINO: The Wine Bar in the village
- NEW! La Baguette
NEW! Turtle Creek Beginner Area & Tube Park
An exciting new development at the base of the mountain, situated around the Revelation Gondola village station, is a comprehensive new beginner slope and snow tubing park. Named after the natural creek bed that crosses through the lower mountain terrain at Revelstoke Mountain Resort, the Turtle Creek Beginner Area & Tube Park will add an element of playfulness to the village atmosphere and provide a welcoming environment for those new to the sport and easy entertainment for the whole family. A new 175m Magic Carpet will give access to this new area with the Tube Park operational through to the evenings.
NEW! Kids ROC
Revelstoke Outdoors Centre is expanding its facilities to include Kids ROC - a dedicated activity centre for children enrolled in snow school lessons as well as après activities such as movie and game nights. This new facility will feature play structures such as a ball pit, mini climbing wall, and giant helicopter and snow cat TV’s as well as cubbies, tables, and washrooms – all kid sized. ROC offers a variety of snow school lessons and other adventures for all ages and abilities.
NEW! The Sutton Place Hotel – Phase 3 & Amenities
The third building of The Sutton Place Hotel featuring ski-in/ski-out condo-style suites is currently being completed and will feature an outdoor, year-round pool, an additional hot tub, and expanded fitness facilities.
Beginner Area - A comprehensive beginner slope has been developed at the mountain base, adjacent to the Revelation Gondola village station. This state-of-the-art beginner slope has been designed with both the skier and snowboarder in mind by providing a progressive pitch that will allow for technique advancement in a more controlled environment. A beginner can gradually build their confidence by developing their skills on the progressive 5%, 10%, and 15% pitch variances. Characters and other fun play features for children to ski and play around will be added to the area. The convenience and accessibility to this new area, especially with a proximity less than 50 steps away from the snow school at the Revelstoke Outdoors Centre, makes it easy for any beginner to get up on the slopes to practice their turns.
Tube Park – Three lanes of snow tubing fun will be available for both daytime and evening this winter at Revelstoke Mountain Resort. The tube park has been designed to provide an enjoyable and gently thrilling ride with a cascading design of slopes and plateaus. With functionality in mind, tube riders will channel back towards the new Magic Carpet base, making it easy to access their next tube run! Installation of lighting will allow for evening operations which are planned through to 8pm daily. Single ride, hourly sessions, and tube park season passes are available for both individuals and families, with an add-on option available for RMR season passholders.
The brand new 175m Magic Carpet runs adjacent to the Revelation Gondola line, from the village station. The new lift services both the beginner area and tube park. This addition takes the RMR lift total to five and will provide all ages and abilities with easy, friendly access to both areas.
Revelstoke Mountain Resort will take initiatives to introduce snowmaking for the new Turtle Creek Beginner Area & Tube Park. Snowmaking is a science unto itself with timing and weather being key factors, and often years of trial and effort to perfect a plan. Revelstoke Mountain Resort is excited to take on the challenge with goals of developing a successful, long-term snowmaking system.
The Mountain Operations crew have been working hard on the lower mountain trails with extensive grooming and grading efforts. Over the next several years, RMR will be re-grading lower mountain slopes 2.5 degrees away from southern exposure to minimize melt/freeze cycles. Following good fundamental snow-farming practices, efforts will aim to improve daily surface conditions, in addition to extending quality skiing, early and late season.
This fantastic facility addition to ROC is a dedicated space for young snow school participants. The new space allows for easy drop off and pick up for parents, facilitates instructor and student gathering, and provides an entertaining lunchtime space for children enrolled in full day programs. Kids ROC features fun play structures including a ball pit with cargo netting above, mini-climbing wall, giant helicopter and snow cat TV’s, as well as cubbies, tables, and washrooms – all kid-sized. In the evenings, Kids ROC will host après activities on certain nights of the week and will also be available for private rental functions such as birthday parties.
Movie, game, tubing, and other theme activity nights will take place weekly at Revelstoke Mountain Resort, through the new Kids ROC facility. Dinner-included options will be available with health, fun, and activity as the program focus.
Child care for children 18 months through to 6 years old is planned at the resort with both daytime and in-room evening services available for visiting guests.
The third phase of The Sutton Place Hotel featuring ski-in/ski-out condo-style suites is currently being completed and will feature an eight story structure with full-amenity suites, providing an additional 107 units to the current 102 at The Sutton Place Hotel. Phase 3 will be connected to Phase 2 via an indoor, connector bridge, while a tri-level underground, heated parkade provides access to all units. New amenities at The Sutton Place Hotel include an outdoor, year-round pool, two additional hot tubs, and expanded fitness facilities.
Nestled between Phase 2 and 3 of The Sutton Place Hotel, a large pool deck surrounds an outdoor, year-round pool and two in-ground hot tubs. Overlooking the pool deck is a spacious, fully-equipped, fitness facility complete with change rooms and showers. The cleverly designed connector bridge provides Phase 2 guests easy access to these facilities. These amenities are an addition to the existing luxury-sized hot tub and fitness facilities in Phase 1. With the ski slopes literally out the back door of The Sutton Place Hotel, the exchange from skis to swim suits is an easy possibility, even for families!
In the village, Wino: The Wine Bar will debut for its first season and provide a second après and dining option, in addition to the Rockford Wok | Bar | Grill. The atmosphere in WINO will be 'alpine chic' with natural wood elements complimenting brushed silver and plush, designer fabrics. Featured wines will include local selections with a variety of scrumptious food-fair items to choose from.
A local favourite from downtown Revelstoke, La Baguette joins Revelstoke Mountain Resort in the village base and on-mountain at the Mackenzie Outpost. In the village, La Baguette serves a variety of delicious food fare and both hot and cold beverages including: fresh baked breads and pastries, sandwiches, wraps, paninis, salads, specialty brewed coffees, an assortment of teas, fruit smoothies, and juices. Most popular of all their offerings is the homemade gelato – a real treat for all ages! A selection of "to go" and grocery items are also available for guests staying on-mountain. At the top of the Revelation Gondola, Mackenzie Outpost offers a selection of La Baguette's scrumptious on-the-go treats including hot coffee, sandwiches, homemade goodies, and more!